Adding event categories with different colors - though not required - will greatly enhance the views of the calendar. Examples of possible Categories are 'holidays', 'appointment', 'birthday', 'important', etc.
The Categories page shows a list of all categories, and categories can be added, edited and deleted. The initial installation has only one category, named 'no cat'.
When adding / editing events all categories will be shown in a drop down menu. The order in which categories are displayed in the drop down menu is determined by the Sequence field.
This window can be used to add or edit event categories.
Event categories will add to events . . .
- special properties, like text/background color, a special symbol to replace the mini-square in various views.
- special behavior, for instance: no overlapping events allowed, event needs approval, event can be checked as 'completed'
The opening page will show a list with all categories with an
indication of the attributes. By means of the Edit and Delete links at
the right side, a category can be edited or deleted. The first category
with ID 1 is the default category and cannot be deleted. When pressing
the Sort On Name button, the categories will be sorted on their name,
not only on this page, but also later in the category selection drop
down menu. The default category (ID 1) will always stay on top.
- Category ID: This is a read-only field showing the ID of the category in the database. This ID is for instance needed to display a calendar, min-calendar or sidebar with only certain event categories.
By selecting the edit link or the Add New Category button, a new
page will open showing a form with all possible category settings.
Description of the fields on the Add/Edit categories form:
- Category name: The name of the category shown in the various calendar views.
- Category color: The text and background color of the event title in the various views.
- Category symbol: The symbol to replace the mini-square in
year view, matrix view and in the mini-calendar. Special symbols can be
cut and pasted from the internet.
- Sequence in menu: This sequence number determines the order
of the categories shown in the categories list on this page and in the
category selection drop down menu. When entering a number which already
exists, the sequence numbers of all existing categories as of this
number will be incremented.
- Repeat: When this field is set, events in this category will
become recurring events with the specified frequency. This can for
instance be useful for anniversaries. Per individual event more detailed
repeat settings are available in the Event Edit window.
- No overlap allowed - same category: When checked, events in
this category may not overlap. If a user tries to enter an event which
overlaps, this will be refused and the specified error message (see
hereafter) will be displayed. Note: already existing events, which
overlap will remain unchanged
- No overlap allowed - all categories: Same as above, but events in whichever category may not overlap.
- Gap : Here can be specified a number of minutes that has to be between 2 events. Could be used for the time needed to prepare for the next booking, when booking a car or a tennins lane.
- Error message: Here can be specified a text that is shown to the user, if the system detects an overlap..
- Event duration: Here a default time period can be specified, which is used in case an event is entered without end time. If fixed is checked, then the event has to be of the duration specified. This could be used if the system is used to make bookings for a golf course. Then it will be the time that is set before the next player(s) can start. It could also be a time for a tennis lane.
- Day color: When checked, in the various views to whole
day-cell will get the color of the event. This can for instance be
useful to clearly indicate bank holidays, birthdays, etc.
- Events need approval: When checked, events in this category
will initially be marked with a red bar on the left side and will only
be visible to the event owner and to users with at least 'manager'
rights. Once a user with at least 'manager' rights has approved the
event, the red bar will disappear and the event will become visible to
- Check mark: When checked and a label and mark have been
specified, events in ths category will have a check box in front of
their title and these events will appear in the ToDo list, which can be
opened from the navigation bar. This check box can be checked which
means the event has been completed, done or whatever the label says.
- URL link: If name and an URL link has been specified, it will be shown in the matrix-category view just below the category name. This could be used if the system is used for booking cottages. Then a cottage is a category. Then it could be specified here, a URL to a page that tells about this specif cottage.
- Subcategories: Maximum four subcategories can be specified,
each with it's own name and text/background color. If one or more
subcategories have been specified and an event is added in this
category, then in the event Add/Edit window, a subcategory drop-down
menu will be shown where the user can select a subcategory. If, when
adding/editing and event, no subcategory has been selected, the event
will have the normal category colors in the various views. If however, a
subcategory has been selected, the event colors will change to the
subcategory color in the various views. Subcategories could be used for bookings, to tell if it is a pre-booking, a confirmed booking, a owner booking or whatever. Then the corresponding color could be shown in matrix-view. Matrix view is very useful when you want to show bookings.